Dutch education programme
Are you required to integrate under the 2021 civic integration act? Then this page is not for you. Contact your for more information.
Are you attending an education programme in the Netherlands? Then you may not have to integrate for now, but you will have to later. This is called a temporary exemption. If you cannot get a temporary exemption, you can perhaps get extra time to integrate.
Are you temporarily unable to integrate because you are attending an education programme in the Netherlands? First check if you can get a temporary exemption.
- The programme entitles you to a full exemption if you obtain the diploma.
- You started the programme no later than 2 months after your 18th birthday.
- Complete the ‘Aanvraag vrijstelling van de inburgeringsplicht’ form.
- The form states which documents you need to send with it. Send the form and the documents to DUO.
- DUO decides if you are granted an exemption. We will let you know within 8 weeks.
Are you not eligible for a temporary exemption? Perhaps you can get more time to integrate.
- You are you attending an education programme in the Netherlands, in Dutch.
- The programme must entitle you to a full exemption if you obtain the diploma.
- Your integration period started at least 2.5 years ago.
Are you attending secondary education (VMBO, HAVO, or VWO), MBO or VAVO? The extra time will be awarded automatically. Are you in a different type of education? Please apply for the extra time.
- Complete the 'Aanvraag verlenging inburgeringstermijn bij inschrijving reguliere opleiding' form.
- Ask your school for a proof of enrolment.
- Send the form and the proof of enrolment to DUO.
- DUO decides if you get extra time to integrate. We will let you know within 8 weeks.
How much extra time?
- Are you still studying when your integration period ends? You will get 6 extra months to integrate very time this happens.
- Are you no longer studying when your integration period ends? If so, we will check how long you studied. For instance, if you studied for 8 months, you will get 8 extra months to integrate. You will never get more than 2 extra years.