Content of the other exams
1. Knowledge of Dutch Society (KNM)
You take the Knowledge of Dutch Society exam on a computer. You will watch short films which can be about, for instance, shopping or going to the doctor. After each film you answer questions. The exam lasts 45 minutes.
2. Job market and participation module (MAP)
Are you required to integrate under the 2021 civic integration act ('Wet inburgering 2021')? Your states if you need to take the Module Labour Market and Participation (MAP). You take this module with the . During your intake with the municipality they will tell you more.
The MAP is about working and finding work in the Netherlands. You follow this module if you are taking the B1 route or the Z route. You need to finish before the end of your integration period. The MAP consists of 2 parts:
- labour market
During the labour market part of the MAP, you will learn for instance:
- what jobs are available in the Netherlands
- which jobs are suitable for you
- how to apply for a job.
You learn this by completing assignments.
During the participation part of the MAP, you learn more about Dutch society. You also need to complete practical assignments, like working as a volunteer, doing an internship or (paid) work.
During the training, your personal needs are taken into account. You may learn how to participate in society. Or how to make a good impression during a job interview.
3. Orientation on the Dutch Labour Market (ONA)
The Orientation on the Dutch Labour Market exam is about working and looking for work. here are 2 parts to the exam:
- assignments (portfolio)
- 64 hours of ONA course or a final interview
You do not have to take the ONA exam if:
- you were already required to integrate before 1 January 2015.
- you are required to integrate under the 2021 civic integration act ('Wet inburgering 2021'). Check in Mijn Inburgering which act applies to your situation.
- you have a diploma for MBO level 1 (‘entreeopleiding’), in Dutch.
- you received an exemption because you worked in the Netherlands.
You need to do assignments using result cards. Sometimes, you also have to send extra documents, which we call ‘bewijzen’. Together, the cards and attachments make up your portfolio.
The explanatory notes ('toelichting') explain how to fill out the result cards. DUO cannot help you fill out the cards. DUO does not have a sample portfolio.
Start in time
- Start working on your portfolio well in time. Checking your portfolio may take up to 6 weeks.
- After approval of your portfolio you can apply for your final interview.
- You may need to wait another 6 weeks for your final interview.
If your portfolio is not approved, you will have to adjust it and hand it in once more. Checking your adjusted portfolio may again take 6 weeks. And again after that you must apply for your interview.
Submitting result cards
- Log in to Mijn Inburgering.
- Select 'ONA' (Orientation on the Dutch labour market).
- Submit both the result cards and the ‘bewijzen’.
- Choose how to pay. The fee to take the ONA exam is €50. You can pay with iDeal, or you can use your loan to pay for the exam.
- Choose how you would like to continue. Either you attend 64 hours of an ONA course or you attend the final interview.
If you cannot log in to Mijn Inburgering, download the result cards and the application form. Send them to DUO by post.
You will receive the result of your portfolio by letter. If your portfolio is approved, the letter comes with a form. Use this form to apply for the final interview. If you submit your portfolio by post, you cannot take the exam by attending 64 hours of an ONA course.
How to continue
Once your payment has been received, DUO will check your portfolio and send you the result by email. If DUO approves your portfolio, you can continue with the 2nd part of the exam. This consists of either a final interview or 64 hours of an ONA course.
The waiting time for the final interview is 6 weeks. You will have an interview with 2 people from DUO. They willl ask you questions about your result cards. The interview will take around 30 minutes. Your result will appear in Mijn Inburgering.If you are successful in the final interview, you have passed the ONA exam.
If your final interview is unsuccessful, you must submit your portfolio again. You must pay for the exam again. You must also attend a new final interview. You can ask DUO why you failed your exam. Send an email to DUO.
If you attend 64 hour of an ONA course, you won’t have to attend the final interview. You need to take the course at a school listed on zoekinburgerschool.nl Link opent externe pagina . Ask the school if they offer the ONA course. The school also knows how much the course costs.
Did you finish the course? The school will inform DUO digitally about the number of hours that you attended the ONA course. If this does not work, you please use the ‘Verklaring deelname cursus ONA’ form.
4. Participation statement (PVT)
Are you required to integrate from 1 October 2017 or after? And are you registered with the ? Then you must sign the participation statement. This is part of your integration.
Letter from the municipality
The municipality will send you a letter. The letter says you have to learn what is important in the Netherlands. For instance:
- Everybody in the Netherlands is equal.
- Everybody may choose their own religion.
- Everybody can say what they think. But it is not allowed to discriminate against somebody else.
If you did not get a letter, contact the municipality you are registered with.
Signing the statement
The letter also tells you how to learn what is important in the Netherlands. Once you have learned enough, you sign a piece of paper. This piece of paper is called the participation statement. By doing so, you state that you will actively participate in Dutch society and that you respect what is important in the Netherlands.
The municipality registers that you have signed the participation statement. The municipality also informs DUO of this. After about 3 weeks it will show in Mijn Inburgering that you have signed the statement.
How much time do you have?
Are you required to integrate under the 2021 civic integration act ('Wet inburgering 2021')? Then you have 3 years to sign the participation statement.
Are you required to integrate under the 2013 civic integration act ('Wet inburgering 2013)? You have 1 year to learn what is important in the Netherlands, and to sign the participation statement. This year begins when you register your new address with the municipality.
Did you not sign the participation statement within 1 year? If this is your own fault, the municipality will let DUO know. You will be fined €340 by DUO. Also, you will not be able to borrow money from DUO any more.
Are you late, but is this not your fault? Or do you need more time? Please contact the municipality. The municipality will let DUO know why you are late and you will get extra time.