Illness, handicap or death
Can't you integrate on time, due to an illness or handicap? Or did your partner, child, father or mother die? Sometimes you can get extra time. Or you don't have to integrate at all.
Extra time because of illness
Are you or were you ill for more than 3 months? Or is or was your partner, child, father or mother member ill? Than you can ask DUO for extra time.
You must meet all of the following conditions:
- You were ill for more than 3 months. Or your partner, child, father or mother was ill for more than 3 months.
- You were treated for the illness by a doctor in the Netherlands. Or your partner, child, father or mother was treated by a doctor in the Netherlands.
- You could not integrate because of the illness, for example because you were not able to go to school or take your exams.
- You have been obligated to integrate for at least 2.5 years.
Do you meet all the conditions? Only than you can apply for extra time.
- Complete the form ‘Machtiging opvragen gezondheidsgegevens’ (Authorisation to access health information). Enter the details of a Dutch doctor.
- Send the form to DUO.
- DUO will ask your doctor, psychologist or psychiatrist to provide information about the illness.
- DUO then decides if you will be given extra time.
Unable to take exams
Are you very ill? Or do you have a handicap? And are you completely unable to take the integration exams because of this? Then you can apply for a dispensation. This means that you don’t need to take any integration exams.
- Go to argonaut.nl where you’ll find the ‘Aanvraagformulier Argonaut Advies’ (Application Form for Argonaut Recommendation). Complete this form and send it to Argonaut.
- You will have to pay Argonaut for the examination. Have you paid? Then you will be examined by an Argonaut doctor.
- The Argonaut doctor writes a letter in which he says whether you can integrate or not.
- Complete the DUO form ‘Aanvraag ontheffing bij ziekte’ (Application for dispensation because of illness). Send the form to DUO, together with the letter from the doctor from Argonaut.
- DUO will decide whether you are granted a dispensation.
Extra time because of the death of a family member
Did your partner, child, father or mother die while you were obligated to integrate? Then you can get 3 months extra time. You can only apply for this when you have been obligated to integrate for at least 2.5 years.
Send a death certificate of the deceased person with the form. The death certificate has to be in Dutch. Do you have a foreign death certificate? Then you will have to get a translation from a sworn translator.
- Fill out the form Aanvraag verlenging inburgeringstermijn bij overlijden (in Dutch only).
- Send the form with the death certificate to DUO. The address is on the form.
- DUO then decides if you get extra time.