How much money can you borrow?
If you borrow money from DUO, you will receive a letter. The letter states exactly how much you can borrow.
- Are you an and did you start your integration on 1 January 2022 or later? Then you cannot borrow money from DUO.
- Are you an asylum seeker and did you start your integration before 1 January 2022? Then you can borrow up to €10,000.
No asylum seeker
Are you not an asylum seeker? DUO will decide how much you can borrow, based on your income.
Use the loan calculator to calculate how much you can borrow.
We will look at your income from 2 years ago. Has your income decreased since then? Then DUO can look at your new income, so you may be able to borrow more.
- Complete the form ‘Verzoek ander inkomensjaar’ (Request different income year).
- Read the text on the back of the form. This tells you what supporting documents you need to include.
- Send the form and the supporting documents to DUO.
- Also send the form 'Aanvraag lening' (Request loan).
- DUO then decides whether you can borrow more. We will let you know within 8 weeks.
For how long can you borrow money?
Were you required to integrate as from before January 2022? Then you can borrow money during the time you need to integrate. But only if you sign the participation statement in time.
Are you not required to integrate, but do you want to anyway? Then DUO will check when you registered your address with the municipality. The loan ends 3 years after the date of registration.