Borrowing money from DUO
Almost anybody who integrates, can borrow money. You can borrow money for your literacy course, integration course or Dutch as a Second Language (NT2) course. But only if you take the course at an approved school. You can also borrow money for the integration exam or the NT2 state exam.
Can you borrow?
Citizens of EU/EER countries, Turkey or Zwitserland can also borrow money for integration. As long as their income is not too high.
Are you not obliged to integrate, but do you want to anyway? If so, please call DUO. The phone number is 050 599 96 00.
Are you a Turkish asylum migrant? Then you can choose: voluntary integration or compulsory integration.
Do you choose voluntary integration?
- You are always due to pay back the loan.
Do you choose compulsory integration?
- You have 3 years to integrate.
- If you pass the integration exam in time, you don’t need to pay back the loan.
- If you don’t pass the integration exam in time, you are due to pay back the loan. You can also be fined up to € 1,250.-.
- You need to sign the participation statement with the municipality (the town or city where you live).
- Did you choose compulsory integration? Then you won’t be able to change your choice afterwards.
What to do?
- Complete the form Keuze inburgeringsplicht. On the form you indicate your choice: : voluntary integration or compulsory integration.
- Send the form to DUO. The address is on the form.
Applying for a loan
Do you want to borrow money from DUO? Then apply for a loan.
- Log in to Mijn Inburgering.
- Go to: 'Lening aanvragen' (Apply for loan)
- Having trouble logging in to Mijn Inburgering? Then complete the form ‘Aanvraag lening’ (Loan application) and send it to DUO.
No money to your bank account
Do you borrow money from DUO? Then DUO uses your loan to pay for your course. You don’t get the money paid to your bank account.