Orientation on the Dutch Labour Market exam
The Orientation on the Dutch Labour Market (ONA) exam is about working and finding work. There are two parts to the exam:
- assignments (your portfolio)
- a 64-hour ONA course or a final interview
You will do assignments either at home or at school using cards, called result cards. Together, all these cards make up your portfolio.
DUO cannot help you to complete the result cards, and DUO does not offer a sample portfolio.
When your portfolio is complete, submit it to DUO in Mijn Inburgering. Once your payment has been received, DUO will check your portfolio and send you the result by e-mail.
DUO compares the contents of your result cards to those of others. If your result cards are the same as someone else’s, that is called ‘plagiarism’. This means that DUO will reject your portfolio. You will have to send your portfolio again and pay another fee.
Submitting result cards
- Log in to Mijn Inburgering.
- Select ‘Finding your way on the Dutch labour market’ (in Dutch: ‘Oriëntatie op de Nederlandse Arbeidsmarkt’) from the menu.
- Complete the result cards, using the explanatory notes ('toelichting') and the list of terms ('woordenlijst'). You will also have to send extra documents, which we call ‘attachments’.
- Submit both the result cards and the attachments in Mijn Inburgering.
- The fee to take the ONA exam is €40. You can choose how you would like to pay in Mijn Inburgering. You can pay with iDeal, or you can pay for the exam using your loan.
- You can choose how you would like to take the exam: with a 64-hour ONA course or with the final interview. You can choose to take the exam with the ONA course, even if you have not yet completed the full ONA course.
64-hour ONA course
You will not have to attend the final interview if you satisfy all the following requirements:
- You have successfully taken, or are about to take, a 64-hour ONA course at a school with ‘Blik op Werk’ certification.
- You have submitted your portfolio in Mijn Inburgering (not by post).
Demonstrate that you are taking an ONA course
- Submit your portfolio in Mijn Inburgering.
- In Mijn Inburgering, select ‘64-hour course’ (in Dutch: ‘64 uur cursus’). You can do this even if you have not yet completed all 64 hours.
- To demonstrate that you have completed the 64-hour ONA course, your school must complete the form ‘Verklaring deelname cursus ONA’.
- Send the form to DUO by post. You can do this as soon as you have submitted your portfolio, or you can choose to post the form later.
You have passed the ONA exam when both your portfolio and the form have been filled in and submitted correctly. You will receive the result by letter.
If you would rather do the 64-hour course than the final interview
Have you already sent your portfolio in the post, or already selected the final interview? But would you rather do the 64-hour ONA course instead of the final interview?
- If you have sent your portfolio by post, re-submit the portfolio in Mijn Inburgering.
- Send the completed form ‘Verklaring Deelname cursus ONA’ to DUO.
- If you have already registered for the final interview, you will first need to e-mail DUO. If the date of your final interview is less than two weeks away, it is no longer possible for you to take the 64-hour ONA course.
If you do not take the ONA course, you will have to attend the final interview. You will have an interview with two people from DUO, who will ask you questions about your result cards. The interview will take around 40 minutes.
If you are successful in the final interview, you have passed the ONA exam. Your result will appear in Mijn Inburgering.
Register for the final interview
- Submit your portfolio in Mijn Inburgering.
- In Mijn Inburgering, select the final interview (in Dutch: ‘eindgesprek’).
- If you have sent your portfolio by post, you will receive the result by letter. Once your portfolio has been approved, fill in the form on this page to register for the final interview.
Unsuccessful in the final interview
If your final interview is unsuccessful, you must submit your portfolio again. You must pay for the exam again, and you must also attend a new final interview.
Download the result cards
Are you unable to download the result cards in Mijn Inburgering? Then you can download them here, too. Complete them and send them to DUO by post. You will receive a bill for paying for the exam.
If you cannot log in to Mijn Inburgering, you can download the result cards here. Fill them in and send them to DUO by post. You will receive a bill for the cost of the exam. You will receive the result of your portfolio by letter. Once you have received this result, you must attend the final interview.